WOW. . .those screenshots of 3.1Alpha are fantastic

antialias vukman at mail.dk
Sat Jul 13 15:21:10 BST 2002

On Saturday 13 July 2002 09:56 am, cr wrote:
> On Saturday 13 July 2002 03:54, Mary Stamper wrote:
> > Is this perhaps one of the weaknesses of the KDE project? or of free
> > software in general? Folks work on what they want to instead of worrying
> > about what is needed to stay in business. As an employee of a company
> > that sells services for  money, we have to work on what the users need,
> > not always on what we think is most cool or most fun. Is this discipline
> > perhaps lacking when there is no money to be made?

Waht we think is most cool and most fun? That is actually what users need and
users want. Keramik window decoration is one of the highest rated on
kde-look.org. As far as I know, qwertz, who is KDE artist, designed Keramik
(which is completely original window decoration and widget style) and Keramik
is probably going to be default in KDE 3.1.
Icons, presented in screenshot are created by Everaldo (clone of MacOSX icon
style), K. Borrey (clone of Windows XP icon theme) and tackat (original KDE
default style). Users requested these styles and icon themes and KDE
developers fulfilled their wishes.
Users who don't like colorful desktop have (and always will have) possibility
to choose some other styles and icon themes, color schemes etc. etc. There
are a plenty of possibilities. KDE is highly customizable. You can even use
styles and icons from gnome etc.

I don't think KDE developers are worried what is is needed to stay in
business. If they were worried about it they would be employed by Microsoft
or other big company.

And what is very interesting here: the best things in open source comunity are
actually developed by developers who don't think about money and promotion.

antialias