Error loading kedit as root from command prompt

Tim cyberlord at cyberlord.net.dhis.org
Fri Jul 5 13:10:29 BST 2002

On Friday 05 July 2002 02:32 am, Hairysocks wrote:
> I'm using KDE 3.0.0 and Qt 3.0.4 on RH 7.1 with kernel 2.4.18.
>
> If I'm in the command-line shell and run kedit as my normal user
> I get the following messages:
>
> /sources/qt-x11-free-3/plugins/imageformats/libqjpeg.so: Feature
> JPEG already defined in
> /sources/qt-x11-free-3.0.4/plugins/imageformats/libqjpeg.so!
> /sources/qt-x11-free-3/plugins/imageformats/libqmng.so: Feature
> MNG already defined in
> /sources/qt-x11-free-3.0.4/plugins/imageformats/libqmng.so!
>
> BUT kedit does load.
>
> If I su to root then run kedit, I get the following messages:
>
> kedit: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3:
> cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> and kedit doesn't load.
>
> Can anyone explain this? I'm sure you'll agree that its quite a
> problem not being able to use kedit as root.
>
> I've also tried other kde programs running as root and found
> that if I run kword I get this:
>
> /usr/kde3/bin/kdeinit: error while loading shared libraries:
> libqt-mt.so.3: cannot load shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> Rob

I'm not an expert, but as a normal user, it looks like there is a conflict
between qt 3.0 and qt 3.0.4. Try removing the older version.

When su to root, it looks like it can't find the qt libraries. Did you install
them as root and not a user? Again, I'm no expert, but that could be
something to look at.

Tim