kmail: sending/receiving messages in HTML

Benjamin Lee Solosy aethereal at aethereal.net
Sun Dec 8 23:57:20 GMT 2002

KDE Version:  3.0.3-8 Red Hat
KMail Version:  1.4.3

Hi everybody,

I have a general question about sending and receiving messages in HTML.  (I've
searched the archives here and elsewhere for the solution to my problem, but
have been unable to find it.  Similar questions have been asked, but they
don't seem to be quite relevant to my problem.  (I've also checked previous
bugs and found a bug which seemed quite similar, but that was quite a while
ago, so I don't believe my current version of KMail should have that
problem.))

OK, first off, the obvious:  I have gone into Configure KMail and checked
"Prefer HTML to plain text."

And I *am* able to receive HTML messages (including images, etc.) from others
just fine.

However, I do not seem to be able to successfully send/receive messages to
myself in HTML format.  (When I receive the mail, I see the HTML code itself,
rather than the properly rendered message.)

When I compose my message, here is what I do (as suggested by the KMail
Documentation):
1.  I Configure KMail:  "Use external editor instead of composer:"
/usr/bin/quanta %f
2.  When I compose my message, Quanta is automatically started, I compose my
message, save it, and exit Quanta.
3.  The HTML code from Quanta is automatically inserted into the body of my
message.
4.  I send the message.
5.  When I receive it, I see my original HTML code, rather than the expected
correctly rendered message.

Btw:  When I View Source, I notice that "Content-Type: text/plain;" rather
than "Content-Type: text/html;" for example.  That would seem to be a clue to
this problem.

Does anybody know why I am unable to receive my HTML messages as correctly
rendered HTML documents, rather than HTML code?

My problem seems quite elementary (and I would think other people would have
bumped into this before too), so I think I must be overlooking something
obvious, but I'm still not sure what that might be.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance,

Benjamin Solosy