KDM Manager

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Aug 27 07:54:44 BST 2002

Bradley D. Pierson wrote:
> How do I change my login from GDM to KDM?  I did it once, but I forgot
> which file I needed to change.  Please don't flame me if this is off
> topic

If this is a Linux question, then it should be posted to the: KDE-Linux
list.  Next time please use the other list, but no problem.

How to switch from GDM to KDM is distro dependent in Linux.

If you have a Sys V type startup system the non-distro dependent method
is to change the last line in: /etc/inittab

for KDM, this would be:

	x:5:once:/usr/kde3/share/config/kdm

{your path may vary; it will be $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm but you can't
use that directly because $KDEDIR won't be set yet.}

If your current line does NOT end in "gdm" you probably have some disto
dependent application to switch desktops which you might want to use.

But the above will work if you just want to use KDM.

--
JRT