want google search from location bar

Sean McGlynn sean at tmiau.com
Sun Aug 25 11:39:28 BST 2002

On Saturday 24 August 2002 17:10, Ian Timshel wrote:
> Hey all.

Hello Ian,

> 	I'm running Red Hat 7.2 and KDE 2.2.2 and Konqueror 2.2.2-2  I can't make
> "realnames" stop from taking over my location bar when I want to execute a
> search from there.  In settings/configure konqueror/enhanced browsing and
> selecting "enabling internet keywords" with "google" selected as the
> fallback search engine I'd be set but no.
> 	What am I missing here?

You're not missing anything. The "enable internet keywords" looks as though
it's hardcoded to use realnames. The fallback bit is even added to the
realnames URL, so it's realnames who would do the fallback, not konqueror.

> I have tried turning it on and off.  I've tried to change the fall back
> search engine but nada.  It's always using "realnames" and from what I can
> tell it isn't even working.

Nope, realnames have closed, so the "internet keywords" that konqi refers to
don't work now. Best bet is to deselect the "Enable Internet Keywords" box,
so that konqi doesn't try it by mistake.

> 	I'd love to have a google search off the location bar... any ideas?...
> Please.

Just use gg: as already suggested, e.g.
gg:british bulldog

Put the search in double quotes if your words should be treated as one, e.g.
gg:"british bulldog"

You can have still use multiple search terms on the same line, e.g.
gg:"british bulldog" "john smith"

or use google's advanced search stuff, such as limiting the search to a
particular site, e.g.
gg:"british bulldog" "john smith" site:geocities.com

It becomes fairly natural once you've done it a couple of times. Not sure if
things have changed in the latest KDE3.

> 	Cheers!  Ian.

Cheers,
Sean