Configuring Web-URL?

Sean McGlynn sean at tmiau.com
Sat Aug 17 22:27:21 BST 2002

On Saturday 17 August 2002 21:57, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Sean McGlynn wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 August 2002 20:59, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> >>4) Is there a way to configure it so that it never has focus unless
> >> it's clicked on?
> >
> > Not sure what you mean exactly.
>
> When the pop-appears, it gets focus even though the mouse cursor is
> somewhere else.

Mouse position and focus are not necessarily related, but I know what you
mean :-)

> If I am typing in the window that had focus before it
> popped up, I can NOT continue typing till I click "Cancel".
>
> I suspect that this is a bug.

Hmm, maybe things have changed in KDE3 from KDE2. I'm not sure why the popup
would appear when you're typing; I thought it only appeared if you had just
selected something. Either way, I also thought that most such popups were now
using the KPassivePopup (sp?) code and didn't get focus at all, unless
clicked on (as, I now understand, Glen wanted).

Having the popup get focus has benefits for keyboard users, in that they can
select "Open with Konqueror", for example, with a single keystroke. You can
also, of course, cancel the popup by the same method, i.e. just type a 'c'.
Not giving the popup focus would negate this. Probably best if configurable
:-)

I personally (in KDE2) just set the popup timeout for 2 seconds. It doesn't
become very annoying then when I don't want it. If it goes away too fast, a
quick Ctrl+Alt+R gets it back again.

I'll have to check things out when I get around to compiling the latest CVS
again.

Cheers,
Sean
--