Konqueror broken : (

Brad Potts pbrad at cinci.rr.com
Tue Aug 13 10:45:17 BST 2002

> I did an online update of SuSE 8.0 and it didn't fix the K Menu Editor
> problem I
> wanted it to!
>
> But Konqueror now will not browse;
>
> An error occurred while loading ....
>
> Unknown host ....

I don't know the details of yoru problem, but it kinda sounds like your DNS
isn't resolving addresses.  First I would make sure you have IP in ifconfig.
Then, did you try to ping an IP address and then try to ping the "name"?
For example:

ping 192.122.237.7

IF that works then try :

ping www.nku.edu

If the first ping works and not the second then it sounds like www.nku.edu
is just not resolving to 192.122.237.7.....

You may have already done this, but I figured in case you didn't (or didn't
know) I would give ya the tip.  Whenever I get that error usually either
there just is no network, or my IP's are just not resolving.  If you're not
getting network (no eth0 in "ifconfig" command) try *restarting* the network
with one of these two commands (I use the first, but not sure if it works on
SuSE, if not do the second....do these as root):

service network restart

OR

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

These are the only things I know how to do, as this usually fixes my
problems when I get that error....

Good luck,
Brad Potts