KDE Improvement??

Brian T. Schellenberger bts at babbleon.org
Fri Aug 9 03:14:11 BST 2002

On Thursday 08 August 2002 01:21 pm, Praveen Ray wrote:
| How do I map F29 to KDE menu? I don't have F29 on my keyboard!!

Sure you do.  If you do the xmodmap stuff shown, then the key with teh warped
window icon on it *is* the F29 key.

But it might not work that way for you . . . you have to run "xev" and
whatever event that key generates, that's what you put on the left-hand side
of the

keycode 117 = F29

line.

For me, it's 117 (obviously), and that *might* be a standard, but without lots
of computers and keyboards to play with, I can't be sure.  I suspect that it
is, though.

> [...]
| >
| > What I have pasted in here is my entire xmodmap.  You are only really
| > interested in the
| >
| > keycode 117 = F29
| >
| > part, but I enclose the whole thing for the comments as well as so you
| > can see what one of these puppies looks like.
| >
| > Once you've done this xmodmap keymapping (which you must do once/session;
| > I call this script .xmodmap and put a script that does  "xmodmap
| > .xmodmap" in my startup folder), then you can pick F29 as the menu key
| > for KDE, and voila!
| >

| > !
| > ! Brian's xmodmap file for the Dell Inspiron 7500 & 8000.
| > !
| > ! This maps as follows:
| > ! - "Caps Lock"  is another way of doing  Control.
| > ! - The "Pause" key is mapped to Caps Lock so I can still do that
| > !   when I want.
| > ! - The Windows application key does a break; this is indirect;
| > !   xmodmap maps it to "End" and my xterm resources map End to ^C.
| > !   This is because xmodmap can't map to a control-code.
| > ! - The "PrntScren" key is mapped to dismiss the window.  This is
| > !   also indirect; this maps it to Pause and my KDE setup maps
| > !   Pause to Close Window.
| > ! - The Windows menu button brings up the KDE menu.  Again, a two-
| > !   stage process; this maps it to F31, and the KDE setup maps F31
| > !   to bring up the menu.
| > !
| > ! NOTES:
| > ! - The Scroll_Lk key doesn't work.  Don't know why.
| > ! - The Break key somehow trashes the xmodmap entry, so don't use
| > !   it.
| > ! - The KDE mapping only takes place if you bring up the KDE keys
| > !   editor and say ok; my normal startup process does this.
| > !
| > ! keycodes used here:
| > !
| > ! code  Label               Default         Replaced with
| > ! ----  -----------         -----------     --------------
| > !
| > ! 117   [Windows App]       NoSymbol        F29 [xterms -> ^C]
| > ! 111   PrntScrn            Print           F30 (dismiss)
| > ! 115   [Windows]           NoSymbol        F31 (system menu)
| > !
| > ! Note: the SysRq and Break keys are not properly understood
| > ! by X, returning non-unique identifiers (64/Alt_L and 37/Control_L
| > ! respectively), so that cannot be xmodmapped without messing up
| > ! the "real" Alt and Ctrl keys).
| > ! Note2:  The F keys are special for remapping elsewhere;
| > ! XTerm & konsole are set up to map F29 to ^C so that the
| > ! Windows App key provides a one-touch break, and
| > ! KDE universal keys are set up to map F30 to close the window
| > ! (one-touch dismiss next to the one-touch break) and F31 to
| > ! the system menu.
| >
| > keycode 117 = F29
| > keycode 111 = F30
| > keycode 115 = F31
| >
| > On Thursday 08 August 2002 05:04 am, Brad Potts wrote:
| > |
| > | I'm new to this mailing list and I have a question that was probably
| > | asked LONG ago. Is there a way to get the "windows" key on your
| > | keyboard to bring up the start menu (or whatever that "K" is called)?
| > | I know this may sound silly, but I like using the mouse as little as
| > | possible and got into the habbit of using the "windows" key to bring up
| > | the start menu in XP.  I know a lot of people are probably going
| > | "yuck", but it's just an old Windows habbit of mine that would be nice
| > | to have in KDE.
| > |

Brian, the man from Babble-On . . . .   bts at babbleon.org (personal)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org