KDE Improvement??

Brian T. Schellenberger bts at babbleon.org
Thu Aug 8 17:54:05 BST 2002

Two stages.  First, you have to use xmodmap to map the Windows key to
something recognizable.  The following may work, but if not, just use "xev"
to see what key event that key sends.

What I have pasted in here is my entire xmodmap.  You are only really
interested in the

keycode 117 = F29

part, but I enclose the whole thing for the comments as well as so you can see
what one of these puppies looks like.

Once you've done this xmodmap keymapping (which you must do once/session; I
call this script .xmodmap and put a script that does  "xmodmap .xmodmap"  in
my startup folder), then you can pick F29 as the menu key for KDE, and voila!

!
! Brian's xmodmap file for the Dell Inspiron 7500 & 8000.
!
! This maps as follows:
! - "Caps Lock"  is another way of doing  Control.
! - The "Pause" key is mapped to Caps Lock so I can still do that
!   when I want.
! - The Windows application key does a break; this is indirect;
!   xmodmap maps it to "End" and my xterm resources map End to ^C.
!   This is because xmodmap can't map to a control-code.
! - The "PrntScren" key is mapped to dismiss the window.  This is
!   also indirect; this maps it to Pause and my KDE setup maps
!   Pause to Close Window.
! - The Windows menu button brings up the KDE menu.  Again, a two-
!   stage process; this maps it to F31, and the KDE setup maps F31
!   to bring up the menu.
!
! NOTES:
! - The Scroll_Lk key doesn't work.  Don't know why.
! - The Break key somehow trashes the xmodmap entry, so don't use
!   it.
! - The KDE mapping only takes place if you bring up the KDE keys
!   editor and say ok; my normal startup process does this.
!
! keycodes used here:
!
! code  Label               Default         Replaced with
! ----  -----------         -----------     --------------
!
! 117   [Windows App]       NoSymbol        F29 [xterms -> ^C]
! 111   PrntScrn            Print           F30 (dismiss)
! 115   [Windows]           NoSymbol        F31 (system menu)
!
! Note: the SysRq and Break keys are not properly understood
! by X, returning non-unique identifiers (64/Alt_L and 37/Control_L
! respectively), so that cannot be xmodmapped without messing up
! the "real" Alt and Ctrl keys).
! Note2:  The F keys are special for remapping elsewhere;
! XTerm & konsole are set up to map F29 to ^C so that the
! Windows App key provides a one-touch break, and
! KDE universal keys are set up to map F30 to close the window
! (one-touch dismiss next to the one-touch break) and F31 to
! the system menu.

keycode 117 = F29
keycode 111 = F30
keycode 115 = F31