KDE Improvement??

Daniel Klein bringa at gmx.at
Thu Aug 8 15:41:04 BST 2002

On Thursday 08 August 2002 06:04, Brad Potts wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this mailing list and I have a question that was probably asked
> LONG ago. Is there a way to get the "windows" key on your keyboard to bring
> up the start menu (or whatever that "K" is called)?  I know this may sound
> silly, but I like using the mouse as little as possible and got into the
> habbit of using the "windows" key to bring up the start menu in XP.  I know
> a lot of people are probably going "yuck", but it's just an old Windows
> habbit of mine that would be nice to have in KDE.
>
> Thanks,
> Brad Potts

I didn't exactly find a way to do that, but where you will have to look is
Control Center - Look and Feel - Shortcuts - Popup Launch Menu. It's per
default set to Alt + F1. While you can bind the Win key it is considered a
modifier, meaning it expects some other key pressed together with it. I set
mine to Win + Space for testing purposes now, it works fine, only other
difference is that the menu will pop up at your current mouse position. But
that shouldn't matter if you use the keyboard to navigate that menu anyway.
Anyone knows how to bind the win key alone?

Daniel