Browse CD and LAN

Francesco Oppedisano f.oppedisano at tiscalinet.it
Tue Apr 30 13:54:47 BST 2002

On 09:59, martedì 30 aprile 2002, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> On Tuesday, 30. April 2002 02:24, Francesco Oppedisano wrote:
> > Hi,
> > sorry if my topic has already been discussed, but mailing list  archive
> > is unreachable at this moment  on kde.org.
> > I have two problems:
> >
> >  1) When i try to browse the Audio CD i obtain the message "Protocol not
> >  supported audio cd"
>
> Hmm, sounds like the audiocd slave wasn't compiled or installed.
> I am not sure for KDE3, but I think KDE2's audiocd needed cdparanoia
> library at compiletime. It wouldn't compile without.
>
> Check the source directory of audiocd. (I think its in kdebase)
> If it got compiled it shouldhave been installed to
> KDEDIR/lib/kde3/kio_audiocd.so and .la
>
> >  2) When i try to browse my windows  lan i obtain the message "unable to
> >  connect to localhost" even if everything is correctly configured and i
> > succed in browsing my samba shares using another program.
>
> The LAN browsing ioslave needs the klisa daemon running and configured.
> AFAIK it is in kdenetwork. If you have it compiled and installed you can
> confiure it through KDE control center ->network -> LAN browsing

Ok, thanks; everything now works better.
I installed cdparanoia and compiled and installed kioslave.
Now the problem is that audiocd browse works only if i'm root even if all
permission of cdrom device are ok....any suggestion?

About lan browsing the problem is similar: lisa demon can't be launched by
users, only by root: the message is "can't create raw socket...permission
denied". If i launch lisa by root i can browse the lan even if i'm a common
user. Is it ok if i make my system launch lisa at boot time? Why in your
system lisa can be launched by common user?

Thank u very much
Francesco Oppedisano