KDE probs

Phil Dibowitz webmaster at ipom.com
Tue Apr 30 08:38:29 BST 2002

Hey all,

I've installed KDE on my debian box (via apt-get) and when I fire it up it seems
to work fine until I it gets to "initializing perihperals" at which point it
freezes - and takes console with it. Nothing can be done at console.
ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't kill X, virtual consoles can't be used. I CAN ssh in,
but killing X doesn't bring back console - the KDE start up screen stays until a
reboot is done.

Interestingly enough prior to getting to "initializing perihperals" I can use my
mouse just fine. If I set KDE to startup at boot I can use my mouse and type in
my password just fine (implying both mouse and keyboard are configured correctly
in XF86Config) - but after logging in, when it gets to "initializing
perihperals" it again freezes.

I can launch X and twm and it works fine - it's just KDE that has a problem -
any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil
--