Starting KDE3

Martin Fahrendorf martin at fahrendorf.de
Wed Apr 24 17:33:10 BST 2002

Am Dienstag, 23. April 2002 13:20 schrieb info at saudiabm.com:
> Hello
>
> I download the source code of kde3 (from ftp.isu.net.sa) and I
> compile all the source and everything ok , but I want know to start
> kde3 , I logout to see if I will find kde3 in the login menu , but
> I did not see it .
>
> Any One can Help Me ?
>
> I have mandrake 8.2 (and I have kde 2.2.2)
>
> Thank you

HI,

create a file like the 01kde in /etc/X11/wmsession.d which points to a
startkde script in lets say /usr/local/bin.

file: 10kde3
NAME=KDE3
ICON=
DESC=K Desktop Environment
EXEC=/usr/local/bin/startkde
SCRIPT:
exec /usr/local/bin/startkde

In this file (/usr/local/bin/startkde) type
#!/bin/sh
#
#  DEFAULT KDE STARTUP SCRIPT ( KDE-3.0 )
#
[ -z "$KDEDIR" ] && export KDEDIR=/opt/kde3
[ -z `echo $PATH | grep $KDEDIR/bin` ] && export
PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH

exec $KDEDIR/bin/startkde

# ende

and make it executable. Replace KDEDIR path wherever your KDE3 lives.

Edit in your kdm configuration (usualy /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc)
the line SessionTypes and add KDE3 to the List.

After the next reboot your default kdm (I think the one from KDE 2.2.2
will show you the KDE3 session.

If you want to switch kompletely to KDE3 change some settings in
/etc/profile.d/kde.sh to your KDE3 installation path and change the
line 'x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon' in your /etc/inittab to
'x:5:respawn:/opt/kde3/bin/kdm -nodaemon' and restart X.

If there is no KDE3 Entry in the session selection check that the Name
Filed in /etc/X11/wmsession.d/*kde is also in the
$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/kdmrc SessionType field.

Good Luck,

Martin