KDE3 starting causes Xwindows Crash on redhat7.2 laptop.

Ling Su lingsu1 at attbi.com
Wed Apr 24 04:41:38 BST 2002

Dear All,

I have a long-lived pain on installing KDE on my chembook L7200 laptop(which is a Asus 7200 clone, with silicon motion graphic card), on which gnome works quite well. It is an old laptop, but I still don't want to throw it away, I hope I can run KDE since I am more used to it then Gnome.... so whenever a new version of Xfree86 or KDE out there, I will try, but without any luck so far. :(

I decide to track the problem down, since today with KDE3 and Xfree86-4.1.0, every bad thing is the same. When the splash picture of KDE shows up, the icons on the picture are blinking one by one, after the mouse one(this hint shows "initial system device"), the whole screen goes black. I still can telnet or ssh the machine, but no X is running any more.

I want to see any log message so that I can track down the problem, unfortunately I don't know where to look at.. anyone can shed some light, or ever met this kind of problems, please help!!!

Thanks,
-Ling