Problem upgrading to KDE 3.0 from KDE 2.1

Marian Stepka mstepka at orangemail.sk
Mon Apr 15 15:42:23 BST 2002

Howzit;

I'm trying to upgrade from KDE 2.x to KDE 3.0 First thing which I did,
was glibc upgrade and XFree upgrade. I'm running RedHat 7.0 on i686.
Upgrade for glibc been done by rpm packages. I need to use --force but
system now running fine and containing following glibc packages:

glibc-common-2.2.4-18
glibc-2.2.4-18
glibc-devel-2.2.4-18

These packages been recommended by RedHat to upgrade from old 7.0
distro. This packages also been necessary to install new XFree server. I
installed over old one from binary tarballs and now I'm running version
4.2.0 with previous config files. Up to this point everything going
good. System is up and running with old KDE 2.x, new XFree 4.2.0 and new
glibc 2.2.4

I downloaded RedHat rpms for KDE 3.0 from Austria mirror site
ftp://download.au.kde.org/ According to rpms first is necessary to
install CUPS packages because they're needed by Qt 3.0.3 package. I've
CUPS installed from sources some time ago. My version is 1.1.10 rpms
offer version 1.1.14 Here is first problem. Packages require libs:

libcrypto.so.2
libssl.so.2

I try to search at http://www.rpmfind.net/ for them, but no luck. I also
download upgrade package for OpenSSL from RedHat version 0.9.6-9 but
this one offer only those libs as so.1 I cannot move any further in
upgrade because all packages require this libs. I also tried to make
symlinks for so.2 but does not help.

Another problem is that Qt rpm require objects named:

libXft.so.1
libXrendered.so.1

They're on my system in directory /usr/X11R6/lib Directory is listed in
ld.so.conf file and I ran ldconfig, but rpm still reporting them as a
missing components. Do you have any suggestions for me?

P.S: If you found this as USENET post please include copy of reply to my
e-mail address as well.

--
*IN ROOT WE TRUST!*
Marian Stepka mailto:stepka at tris.sk
If you would like to support me buy me anything from my wish list at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/wishlist/UOEKRXWFAFPX/