KDE3.0 anti-aliassing out the window - getting desparate

roger miliker roger.miliker at gmx.at
Tue Apr 9 01:27:13 BST 2002

Am Monday 08 April 2002 23:08 schrieb bk390934:
> Roger Miliker's comment about the readme file made me take a second look
> and .. yep, the SuSE guys bestowed the exact same limitation on the new
> build of KDE 3.0 as for the original SuSE versions. In other words, they
> deliberately disabled anti-aliassing in the KDE 3.0 rpms for SuSE 7.1 and
> 7.2! The logic behind this is that you may still have the original X
> Windows that doesn't support AA (well). They could've been a bit less
> cryptical in their readme and they could've provided an alternative set of
> packages with all the features enabled for every SuSE version because they
> do provide upgrades to XFree86 v4.2 for SuSE 7.1 - 7.3.
>
> Anyway, I found that the easiest way to get AA to work on SuSE 7.1 and 7.3
> is to install the full set of the respective rpms, see if you have a
> working KDE and then replace the qt3 rpm with the one intended for SuSE
> 7.3.
>
> To uninstall the current qt3: "rpm -e --nodeps qt3"
> To install the qt3 of SuSE 7.3: "rpm -ivh --nodeps qt3-3...i386.rpm".
>
> And from that moment on, anti-aliassing is available once again.
>
> I don't know if it's possible to use the SusE 7.3 KDE 3.0 set on the 7.1
> and 7.2. Gonna try tomorrow. Will buy SuSE 8.0 in a week or two anyway.

I Just tried that with rpm ... --nodeps .
Don't do that! KDE wouldn't even start for me afterwards (I still have the
orignal xfree86 version that came with SuSE 7.2!).

Does anybody know a way to get AA with KDE3 and SuSE 7.2?
Would compiling QT and/or KDE3 help and if yes what configure options should I
apply?

Roger

PS: I wonder if SuSE did that on purpose or what the reasons are for this,
cause I think the other distributions managed the AA issue better. Do they
all want us to buy their new SuSE 8.0 box??
Their LinuKs KDE service isn't like it used to be (they are still offering KDE
2.2.2 and some old beta 3 on their webpage). I hope this will change to the
better soon.