Kmail

Robert Charbonneau etriaph at kdesktop.org
Mon Apr 8 23:42:21 BST 2002

On April 8, 2002 08:45 am, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> Yes I can blame Linux for this and I am NOT deranged.  I do agree KDE is a
> great desktop.  Did your 52 year old aunt upgrade to kde 3 on her own?
> What is her back ground?  Do you do all the geeky stuff for her?  At this
> time do to having to recompile so many things etc, Linux is not even close
> to mainstream desktop use.  It is a geek toy.  The kde 3 upgrade is only
> one example.

Then Windows98 is a geek toy because I had to upgrade that for her too when
she was using Windows95.  Once the desktop is installed and running it's a
great system for any end-user (idiot-user?).  Most of the population wouldn't
know how to upgrade Windows either, they have a sysadmin or a
spouse/friend/other do it for them.  Consider that when doubting the
capability of Linux on the desktop.

Also, most desktop users wouldn't upgrade from KDE 2.2.2 to KDE 3.0 on their
own. They would wait til Mandrake 8.3 or RedHat 7.3 comes out, upgrade their
entire OS and let it upgrade KDE for them.  You, as someone in the know are
stating that someone who doesn't know what you do would know what you do and
therefore not having your skills would not be able to do what you can do that
they don't *know* they can do.  Understand?

--
"I could really use to lose my Catholic conscience,

Robert Charbonneau
etriaph at kdesktop.org