kde3 final ... won't start ...

Gerhard den Hollander gerhard at jasongeo.com
Thu Apr 4 10:31:21 BST 2002

* Ladislav Strojil <Ladislav.Strojil at seznam.cz> (Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 10:56:34AM +0000)

> On Thursday 04 April 2002 08:39, Gerhard den Hollander wrote:
> > This is (mildly) disappointing/frustrating/irritating
> >
> > I just downloaded the kde3 final from suse
> > for suse 7.3
> >
> >     and it refuses to startup (dcopserver errors)

> What is the exact error message?

The usual
could not  connect to /home/gerhard/.DCop ....
make sure dcopserver is running
(which it is not)

> Also, make sure you don't have KDE2 dcop in your path.
> This looks like mixing KDE2 and KDE3 binaries.

I added PATH=/opt/kde3/bin:$PATH at the start of /usr/X11/bin/kde3

>>     the ksplash screen is the same image as on kde2 ??
> The same applies. Check your PATH.
> $ which ksplash
> is your friend.
I added a which dcopserver_shutdown to the kde3 startup script, and that
shows clearly that it
s trying to start the kde3 dcopserver_shutdown
(/opt/kde3/bin/dcopserver_shutdown)

Also, when I switch back to kde3-rc3 everything works again.

>>     Is that what it's supposed to be ?
> No.

Good ...

>> so I switched back to kde3-rc3 (rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *rpm)
>> and that works like a charm.

> Careful with those --force --nodeps... it is very likely to screw things up.
> DO NOT USE IT UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

I was sure what I was doing.
I did rpm -Uvh *rpm before to see what was missing

Currently listening to: 06 - Echoes

	Gerhard,  (@jasongeo.com)	== The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O	If I don't see you no more on this world
 =`\<,	I'll meet you on the next one