Improving community.kde.org | Wiki Sprint or Akademy BoF?

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Tue May 30 18:07:14 BST 2023

Hi all,

I have been exploring the information at community.kde.org wiki and
trying to think of ways to make improvements.

A couple of questions to the community:

Is anyone here already involved in wiki maintainence?

Any community members interested in an online Sprint/edit-a-thon or an
in-person Akademy BoF to improve the wiki together?

Some suggestions for improvements are below, but as always your ideas
are very welcome:

  - *General Maintenance*: Check that content is up-to-date and archive
[1] or mark as out-of-date [2] old content or information that needs
review [3].

  - *Discoverability*: Brainstorm ways to make the content of the wiki
more easily navigable and discoverable, such as including sections "See
also" for KDE-wiki-internal pages and "External links" for relevant
websites (see bottom of SoK [4] and GSoC [5] pages for examples).

  - *Consistency*: Structure wiki information in a consistent way across
pages so visitors can find content they want as quickly and easily as
possible.

  - *Task List*: Make a list of easy-to-do tasks that just need someone
to do it, and publish them in the appropriate place (Gitlab?). Perhaps
this could be a way to easily engage new contributors.

  - Your ideas here :)

Thoughts? Any interest?

I did not make a task for this at Phabricator since the service will be
retired soon. Is there an appropriate place in GitLab for this and
related tasks? I looked under Gitlab > Websites but did not find anything.

Cheers,
Joseph

[1] https://community.kde.org/Template:Archived
[2] https://community.kde.org/Template:Outdated
[3] https://community.kde.org/Template:Review
[4] https://community.kde.org/SoK
[5] https://community.kde.org/GSoC

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss at floss.social