Retirement of Capacity

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Jan 15 06:36:03 GMT 2023

Hi all,

Since time immemorial, KDE has had a custom PHP framework known as Capacity
which we've used to build a good number of our websites.

With the rise of Static Site Generators such as Jekyll and Hugo though,
we've been phasing this out and given that Hugo especially is now well
established as the go-to-tooling for building KDE websites, it is time we
retire Capacity.

In addition, in the next few weeks the current server for our
static/capacity sites, Nicoda, will be replaced by a new system (Tyran)
that is currently awaiting configuration and i'd very much prefer to not
have to deploy legacy Capacity support there.

I have checked our server configuration this evening and it looks like the
following sites still rely on Capacity in some form or another:

konversation.kde.org
pe.kde.org
marble.kde.org
kmplayer.kde.org
www.kde.org
games.kde.org
docs.kde.org
czechia.kde.org
freebsd.kde.org
kmymoney.org
edu.kde.org
multimedia.kde.org
ro.kde.org
konqueror.org
kpdf.kde.org
jp.kde.org
utils.kde.org
events.kde.org
kst-plot.kde.org
conference2004.kde.org
conference2005.kde.org
akademy2006.kde.org
akademy2007.kde.org
akademy2008.kde.org
akademy2009.kde.org
www-staging.kde.org
il.kde.org
umbrello.kde.org
krusader.org
ev.kde.org
okular.kde.org
kdemail.net
extragear.kde.org
lakademy.kde.org
kphotoalbum.org

Having a quick look through the repositories/sites, I see:
- Some that have already made the jump to Hugo/Jekyll (so likely just need
their Capacity support switched off)
- Some that are just redirects to apps.kde.org or elsewhere, and therefore
just need Capacity support switched off (and probably the repository
archived on invent.kde.org too)
- Others where the site content is still in Subversion and the site talks
about Maemo (eek!)
- Others where the site content is many years out of date and it is
probably best we just redirect it to www.kde.org / apps.kde.org.

It would be appreciated if people could please take a look through these
sites.

For the akademy2xxx.kde.org sites, it would be nice if we could get their
content migrated and incorporated into the new Hugo based akademy.kde.org
site, but in the absence of that I will be turning them into static sites

Many thanks,
Ben