SoK - searching for mentor for

AnnoyingRains annoyingrain5 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 06:57:53 GMT 2023

Hey KDE web team! I am a SoKDE student who would like to submit a proposal
for a project I would like to work on for SoKDE.

I have already submitted this proposal on season.kde.org

My proposal is:

A website that has downloads for Windows and MacOS for all KDE
software that builds for those platforms.

As currently downloads for these platforms are spread to the four
winds, making it difficult to get KDE software on those platforms
Also, the current "solution" for this on Windows is the Microsoft
Store having many of the KDE apps, although I would argue that this
isn't actually fixing the issue for many people, as many windows users
not only hate the Microsoft Store, meaning it is barely used, but many
users wouldn't even look there for our software, and default to
googling it.

The Binary Factory is the best option right now, but the Binary
Factory isn't a good endpoint for users in my opinion, and can easily
confuse people as it is more designed for developers instead of
end-users. Also, the Binary Factory often produces
nightly/experimental releases instead of stable releases.

Perhaps this above idea could be merged with apps.kde.org?

Some screenshots showing how different what apps.kde.org shows is from
what available on the Microsoft store and the Binary Factory are
attached.

Last point, yes I know that the binary factory is being deprecated and
replaced with Gitlab CI, I have just used it as an example here as it
has almost all KDE projects at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
- Kye Potter