Phabricator task | formalizing a process for adding/removing services to KDE's infrastructure

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Aug 27 11:11:46 BST 2023

On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 2:00 AM Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss <joseph at kde.org>
wrote:

> Hi again,

Hi Joseph,

> as promised, here's the link to the Phabricator task about formalizing a
> process for adding/removing services to KDE's infrastructure:
>
>    https://phabricator.kde.org/T16410

Just as a note for those evaluating this, our current systems have been
quite slimmed down from what they once were a few years ago.

The main areas where we are harbouring a degree of legacy services would
sit in the chat space (with the likes of sKreamer, pursuivant and
IrcsomeBot).
That is something we've still got to deal with though.

The only other space that is still being worked on that I can immediately
think of would be apps.kde.org / develop.kde.org / the Wikis (with content
moving from the Wikis to those two respectively).
Depending on how far this goes, I could see Gitlab's Wiki functionality
eventually replacing the wikis altogether.

Hopefully in the next few months we will be able to sunset the Binary
Factory, and then Phabricator after it which will bring everything under
"one roof" as it were.

Some work is still needed in the Drupal space to get us off those and on to
something more modern (whether that be Wordpress or Hugo), but those are
separate and if there is anyone who would like to take that on, please get
in touch with me.
(This is a pretty ideal task for someone who is looking to get involved
once the platform decision is made)

> I think having a formal process for this will help situations like we
> are having now with Telegram, and prevent a proliferation of new
> services/websites/etc. that use up resources, potentially fracture
> communication, end up unmaintained, and so on.

Chat services have always been a difficult one to deal with unfortunately,
so i'm not sure how much a process would have helped the Telegram issue (it
might have reduced the pain to a certain degree, but there still would have
been pain)

> Cheers,
> Joseph

Cheers,