Plasma 5.25 Videos Broken in Firefox

John Vilsack vilsack at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 22:05:41 BST 2022

Ben,

Thanks for reaching out. I wasn't sure if this was the right channel or not.

I'm able to reproduce it two ways on Firefox 102 and 103:

1. Using uBlock Origin
2. When my local pihole is active

This is starting to become a heisenbug for me. I'll run you through my
diagnostics here:
1. The issue appears to be a page request hang when matomo.php and/or
matomo.js are not received. Interestingly, reloading the page fixes this,
another reload will break it, and the cycle continues.
2. I started to think this was as simple as unblocking the script calls for
matomo.
3. I kept messing with it and now after about five seconds, it appears that
the videos will start on a delay. This wasn't happening earlier and
it's not due to any changes I made locally.
4. Further messing about and now the videos load quickly on both 102 AND
103 on multiple machines.

I would normally not add all this detail, because when this has happened in
the past it usually means someone, somewhere, fixed something. Since you
couldn't replicate it, I'm going to chalk it up to a weird CDN caching
issue that spamming multiple requests for the videos changed something.
These are the WORST sort of problems to resolve.

I apologize if this has taken up any of your time needlessly. I figured
that given the likelihood that KDE users are more inclined to run Firefox
and some sort of adblock, you'd want to keep this on your radar. It being a
UFO isn't helping matters much.

Thanks,
JV