Plasma 5.25 Videos Broken in Firefox

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Jul 2 13:06:20 BST 2022

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 9:06 AM John Vilsack <vilsack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ben,

Hi John,

> Thanks for reaching out. I wasn't sure if this was the right channel or
> not.

Yep this is the right channel for this.

> I'm able to reproduce it two ways on Firefox 102 and 103:
>
> 1. Using uBlock Origin
> 2. When my local pihole is active
>
> This is starting to become a heisenbug for me. I'll run you through my
> diagnostics here:
> 1. The issue appears to be a page request hang when matomo.php and/or
> matomo.js are not received. Interestingly, reloading the page fixes this,
> another reload will break it, and the cycle continues.
> 2. I started to think this was as simple as unblocking the script calls
> for matomo.
> 3. I kept messing with it and now after about five seconds, it appears
> that the videos will start on a delay. This wasn't happening earlier and
> it's not due to any changes I made locally.
> 4. Further messing about and now the videos load quickly on both 102 AND
> 103 on multiple machines.
>
> I would normally not add all this detail, because when this has happened
> in the past it usually means someone, somewhere, fixed something. Since you
> couldn't replicate it, I'm going to chalk it up to a weird CDN caching
> issue that spamming multiple requests for the videos changed something.
> These are the WORST sort of problems to resolve.
>
> I apologize if this has taken up any of your time needlessly. I figured
> that given the likelihood that KDE users are more inclined to run Firefox
> and some sort of adblock, you'd want to keep this on your radar. It being a
> UFO isn't helping matters much.

Being difficult to diagnose certainly makes this a tricky one for sure!

Without a sure fire way to reproduce the issue it certainly seems that
something in our arrangements is not liked by Firefox, although it working
sporadically makes it difficult to trace why.
We'll keep an eye out for further recurrences of this issue - one
possibility could be to do with how Firefox handles webm, given that
Google/Chrome authored that particular format...

> Thanks,
> JV

Cheers,
Ben