Sysadmin notice: static website generation revamped

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun May 27 08:21:06 UTC 2018

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 7:59 PM, Bhushan Shah <bhush94 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello community,

Hi all,

> We sysadmins were working on revamping how the static websites are
> generated and deployed to the final server. Earlier static website were
> generated on the olios.kde.org, however server itself is running very
> old version of ubuntu. Which prevented us to run the newer versions of
> ruby/jekyll/sphinx/hugo etc.
>
> To fix this, we have come up with docker image with LTS ubuntu 16.04 and
> we are now running the website generation on binary factory [1].
>
> We have migrated the following websites to this new deploy mechanism.
>
> - 20years.kde.org
> - br.qtcon.org
> - choqok.kde.org
> - digikam.org
> - docs.krita.org
> - evolve.kde.org
> - falkon.org
> - fr.kde.org
> - hig.kde.org
> - inqlude.org
> - manifesto.kde.org
> - minuet.kde.org
> - openraster.org
> - plasma-mobile.org
> - staging.digikam.org
> - zanshin.kde.org
>
> If you spot any regressions with this websites, please feel free to reach
> to us through sysadmin ticket.

As an addendum to this, this paves the way nicely for a revamp of
api.kde.org, which could also benefit significantly from being
transitioned over to this.

The current infrastructure that supports api.kde.org has quite a few
issues, which makes adding new projects error prone, and also makes
the system in general quite brittle and subject to breakage.

If someone would like to work on this, please get in touch with us at
sysadmin at kde.org so we can start pointing you in the right direction!

> [0] https://cgit.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-tooling.git/tree/system-images/static-websites/Dockerfile
> [1] https://binary-factory.kde.org/view/Websites/

Thanks,