migration to new WKO website, part II

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 16:20:20 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I've gone through the replies (to various lists) to the first "migration to new
WKO website" and condensed the following feedback from it (along with a quick
status on where we stand with respect to the individual items on the list):

* Access: All those who have requested access to content have been granted
(thanks a lot, Ben!)
* Translations: Some parts of the original site were translated, this is work-
in-progress and discusses in the thread "Translating the new www.kde.org" also
on the kde-www list
* We need the new site available in a git repo so it's possible to collaborate
on it
* redirects for the low-hanging fruit and most important pages, also Ben
proposed a mechanism how to keep Capacity-based content alive and served for
the interim, a combination of those two options will likely make us happy for
the migration period
* make automated posting of release possible for release managers and for
security fixes
* the individual announcements don't look too neat, will need visual touch-
ups, this is caused by making the rendered column narrower
*
* Some hard-coded links have a trailing /, making them look weird and ugly
* announcements especially it incomplete: wip, we'll make sure all old
announcements are still on the site
* the donations page needs an automated process to import new donations
* application pages are imported to straight HTML, this may cause maintenance
problems in the long run [1]
* patron logos have become smaller, may be a deliberate design decision, but
needs a conscious yes/no whether it's correct or a layouting problem
The formatting has been removed from the applications pages [1]
* The colours on the menu bar on the KDE Software Catalogue are hard to read
[1]
* On the release announcements the Feedback, Supporting KDE and following
sections have disappeared [1]
* the link to Development Information on the above page goes to the current
site

[1] see also Jon's review (thanks, Jon!) at https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/
kde-www/2018-March/007000.html

Please keep in mind that we want to concentrate on things that are regressions
compared to the "old" site for now, once these regressions have been ironed
out we can flip the switch to the new backend and work on our wishlist items
(such as the content restructuring (see also https://phabricator.kde.org/T8162
) or full translations for the whole site) from the new backend, which allows
also people who don't write php/html daily to help with site maintenance.

Please also keep in mind that we do not want to deliberately remove content,
so if anything is missing, that's not bad intention, it's more likely
oversight and exactly the kind of problem we want to fix and which we asked for
feedback and review.

Finally, also thanks to those who had a closer look and proposed fixes!

sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org