drupal and releases

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 03:17:09 UTC 2017

Can you give specific examples of where things are automated, or give a
run-down of the current workflow so I know the exact process as it is?

Depending on what is done, we have options.

The option I like the least would be to have a Drupal module which imports
PHP documents and simply acts as a "capacity emulator"; this is likely what
will be done for release archives, but it would likely "just work" with new
releases. In this case it would likely be easier than anything you do now,
as you would only create the announcement page and Drupal would handle
linking. However, this is not a good long-term solution as we lose out on
search, more robust translation tools, and the fact that it defeats the
whole purpose of Drupal.

The option I prefer is to have a form in Drupal - probably via a module -
which would replace SVN entirely for announcements.

We would not need to re-write whole announcements! I'll say that first! We
would instead use a module, and build boilerplate content into that module.
For some forms, such as KDE Applications announcements, it may be as few as
three fields (an optional free-form content area, the version, and release
date); from there it would link the announcement appropriately once it's
the release date, and we could also provide a preview link. We can add more
optional fields as well, such as links if you aren't comfortable
auto-generating them. Boilerplate would be automatically translated.

Depending on what else / how else you automate, I'll have more answers for
things like change logs, which I'm curious to know if there's secret sauce
there. I'm in the process of finishing the template, so next is custom
modules we'll need, so this is actually a really great time to into your
requirements so we can (ideally) avoid disruption and make future admin
tasks better/faster/smarter/stronger.

Thanks!
 - Ken