[Kde-extra-gear] [Kst] Entry for kst on kde.org/applications (was: Re: This list and associated website will be ending in one week)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Mar 30 23:00:52 UTC 2016

Hi,

to get the entry for kst on kde.org/applications done I now simply copied some
text from the kst homepage and it is live now

So please check https://www.kde.org/applications/education/kst/ to see where
things need corrections or improvements (screenshot still TODO, going to copy
the one from https://kst-plot.kde.org/, https://kst-plot.kde.org/3-pics.png)

("education" is not the perfect fit. But perhaps the best among the current
set of categories. This one-category-per-app hopefully will be improved in the
near future, perhaps by copying the approach used in the app start menus in
the workspace).

Am Donnerstag, 3. März 2016, 00:13:25 CEST schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> Hi,
>
> any chance you could propose a JSON file with the content you would like to
> see for kst?
>
> Am Samstag, 13. Februar 2016, 10:55:50 CET schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> > Hi Barth,
> >
> > thanks for joining :)
> >
> > Am Freitag, 12. Februar 2016, 12:13:42 CET schrieb Barth Netterfield:
> > > Hi, Friedrich
> > >
> > > The Link extragear.kde.org/apps/kst/ can die, but we would really like
> > > keep our current page at kst.kde.org (and, it turns out,
> > > kst-plot.kde.org).
> > >
> > >  It is the apps main page, and where we send everyone.  Is this
> > >  possible?
> > >
> > > I really don't know how we came to have our own subdomain, but it is
> > > nice
> > >
> > > :-)
> >
> > Sure, that subdomain and similar ones are not going to be touched here,
> > and
> > can (and should) be used to send people to for a real maintained homepage.
> >
> > Only extragear.kde.org is going to be put to rest finally here.
> >
> > > We are happy to also have a page at kde.org/applications, and I can send
> > > you a json for it.  BUT: these pages seem to be rather limited, and not
> > > the main page of most applications.  The existing kde.org/application
> > > pages should at least also link to the application's main page.
> >
> > There is a "homepage" entry possible in the JSON description for that
> > purpose. E.g. used for Marble (who also have their marble.kde.org
> > subdomain): https://www.kde.org/applications/education/marble
> >
> > KStar's entry could and should be updated then.
> >
> > > I am not sure what the purpose of that page is, except to know that the
> > > application exists.  There is no way of knowing how to install the
> > > application, etc.
> >
> > Those pages below kde.org/applications can be considered something like a
> > catalog of all apps developed in the kde.org community, providing the most
> > important info on a quick look, with a consistent layout for quick access.
> > (Agreed that they surely can be improved a little here and there, but that
> > is a different issue, to be tackled as an independent step).

Cheers
Friedrich