Add "Install via AppStream" links to applications on kde.org

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Sun Dec 18 19:47:33 UTC 2016

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 12:17 AM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
> <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> most of the KDE applications now ship with an appdata file. Each appdata
>> file comes with an appstream id, which in a distro-agnostic way
>> identifies the respective application.
>>
>> "In order to allow installation of AppStream components from websites,
>> software-centers implementing AppStream may choose to also support the
>> appstream:// urls."
>> From https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-AppStream-Services-UrlHandler.html
>>
>> Attached patches enable entries on kde.org/applications to have
>> optionally a "Get $App" section in the box on the right side, with an
>> item "Install via AppStream" linked to the "appstream:app.id" url.
>
> Big +1, that was the reason why we introduced appstream:/ after all.

You might want to use one of the nice buttons we Ken has designed ;-)
(can be found on the linked page)

>> This will be controlled by a new property "appstream" added to the app
>> json files in applications/apps/. If present and not false, the content
>> should be the id, otherwise it is handled as not set.
>>
>> Example:
>> Adding this to applications/apps/okteta.json
>>     "appstream": "org.kde.okteta.desktop",
>> will add
>>         <strong>Get Okteta</strong>
>> at the begin of the box on the right side of
>>         kde.org/applications/utilities/okteta
>>
>> If committed, adding all the "appstream" entries to all the json files
>> could be a GCI task? Anyone who could overlook this?
>
> If you explain to me exactly where it needs to be changed, I could set
> up such gci task.

Yould we pull this directly from the AppStream metainfo files? I am
worried that otherwise we will have yet another place where the IDs
need to be kept in sync (not that they should change or are even
likely to change, but ID changes might happen).

>> Others might want to extend this in the future to something for Android,
>> Windows, etc., unless the kde.org overhaul will bring all this anyway
>> once it is done.
>
> Given it's something we'd get as is, we can just do it already.

If stuff is published on Google's Play Store or Apples AppStore or
whatever Windows uses, adding links to that would be useful, I assume.
Thank you for working on the AppStream links!

Cheers,
  Matthias