Long Term / KDE.org Design Update

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 13:35:10 UTC 2015

Between Drupal and Wordpress, Wordpress is in a hilariously awkward spot
for me; tooting my own horn I used to make Wordpress do crazy things, and I
know how to code that platform to do impressive stuff. For example, I know
I could make a pretty good custom post type which could handle application
entries easily. I also know how to make it look beautiful.

On the other hand, I *hate* Wordpress with a passion. Partially because of
it's security track-record, mainly because it encourages some bad design.
Apparently they've put effort into the security of the thing, but plugins
are the big area where security falters as well. I'd almost be content to
limit the third-party plugins for security reasons, using only a few
in-house plugins to provide custom page/post types.

I don't know Drupal, but from what I understand you can make it do equally
impressive backflips - but I don't know a lick of Drupal. I don't mind
studying it adding the thing to my resume, but I can't vouch that the first
run of plugins will be optimal.

There's a few things I think we really need to consider, and perhaps we
should make a checklist of things we need, and go CMS to CMS and see which
ones offer the best faculties - here's what's on my docket;

   - Easily extend the system with custom types for app entries, release
   announcements, general news, etc etc.
   - Good administrative options with permissions; we should be able to
   easily grant people permission to make changes in specific areas.
   - Good multi-language support, and an easy method for i18n teams to
   submit translations.
   - Good security track-record. If half the web team dies in a tragic
   beer-pong accident we need to know the site won't crumble.
   - Easy paths to integrate other systems; specifically phpBB and
   KIdentity. I think KIdentity integration will be important.
   - Support for AJAX APIs or a straightforward way to hack em' in, ideally
   continuing the KIdentity support.
   - Support reasonably good coding conventions.

Thoughts? More points?