Long Term / KDE.org Design Update

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:27:06 UTC 2015

Wagh! Sorry I haven't been more active here; my day job has had me on heavy
web development for the past few months - you can imagine programming PHP
for more than 8 hours a day can send some people screaming to non-web
projects, especially when it's not a quick project like the KDE websites. ;)

In all honesty my progress was starry-eyed and a bit crap, I haven't been
satisfied with my work at all, and for some reason I thought writing
(another) custom CMS was a good idea; I came back to what I had yesterday
and set the project folders on fire. Aside from some pretty designs and
inconsequential HTML, I'm going to reset my progress meter, because I doubt
the whole "lone wolf" thing will get very far on a long-term project like
this - especially since my screwups would be your burden - and that thought
stressed me out.

I think the most important thing isn't the design aspect, but having a
solid foundational CMS which is modern, will be updated, and will allow for
easier management. I'd like to maybe just start with your feedback as the
maintainers; right now KDE.org has several systems its running under,
including Capacity as a sort of "glue" CMS... I'd like to poll you guys on
the possibility of picking and sticking with one CMS, even if it means
programming a multitude of modules, which I'm willing to do. I also think
it's important that you guys choose what you want to maintain, because
what's easy to design for isn't necessarily what's easy to maintain.

I'm also thinking "not custom" since keeping things up-to-date is a tough
issue, but with something like Drupal or Wordpress at least we know it will
have active maintainers dedicated to the main codebase. If we can just
maintain modules in a skinnable multi-language system that will be half the
battle won forever and ever. Hopefully, for user-facing pages we'll get our
core codebase down to CMS X and PhpBB.

Anyway!

I think the first thing I'd like to hear from you guys before I re-kick my
efforts is; do you agree with my logic, and what CMS would you prefer to
maintain if you do?