SoK: A New PlanetKDE

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Thu Jan 29 10:24:49 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 28 January 2015 20:47:51 Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2015 19:25:52 Ranveer Aggarwal wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I started off my Project under Season of KDE 2014 with a motive to design
> > and revamp KDE's own blog aggregator, PlanetKDE. Initiated by my mentor
> > Jonathan Riddell, back in 2008, this website did an amazing job of
> > scraping
> > off content from KDE's bloggers.
> >
> > Since this was my first experience with Open Source, I initially
> > restricted
> > my interaction with the community, and went on designing and understanding
> > everything myself, mailing my mentor when I was stuck. Around two weeks
> > back, I completed my first draft and I thought it looked decent.
> > Then I was suggested to consult the Visual Design Forum and boy were they
> > and enthusiastic bunch! They suggested loads of changes in the design and
> > patiently helped me as I proceeded.
> >
> > And now, the site is live: https://planetkde.org/
> >
> > This has been a great experience, and one of the biggest take backs was
> > that when you work with various people, on something that will influence
> > various people, you're bound to learn a lot.
> > I sincerely thank my mentor and everyone else who contributed for the
> > amazing experience. I'll definitely keep contributing to KDE in the days
> > come.
> > Hope you all like the new design.
> >
> > Any bug report/improvement/review would be appreciated.
>
> Great work - this looks so much better than before!
>
> Thanks

+1. Looking really good. Consistency ftw.

Some people are still missing their hackergotchi apparently, though. For
instance, I can't see Dan Vratil's image on the planetkde.org.

Maybe the site could compensate by defaulting to the KDE gear icon if the
hackergotchi is missing, otherwise the title looks mis-aligned.

Just my two cents -- Great work!