Donation page simplification

Gérard Talbot browserbugs2 at gtalbot.org
Sat Feb 7 02:31:17 UTC 2015

Le 2015-02-06 14:24, Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> Hi there, one of the issues we had with the donation page is that it is
> very
> complex, Aleix and me have worked in a new version that is much simpler
> by
> rewording some text and moving the more corner-case ways to donate to a
> different page.
>
> http://kde.org/community/donations/index2.php
>
> This is still not linked from the main page because
>   * We want your input
>   * We need to make the radio button to choose between one time and
> recurring
> less ugly
>
> Opinions?

Albert,

Why the "Donations" page
https://www.kde.org/community/donations/index2.php
is not titled/named "Donate through Paypal"?

I do not understand why the page should be split into a "Donations" page
on one hand and an "Other ways to donate" webpage on the other hand. Why
not a single page for all 3 ways to donate?

-------

When I click a link text saying "Donate", then I do not expect to read
or to be lectured on why donations are important or what the donations
will be for, etc.. A "Donate" page in my mind should be just about the
mechanics of donation.

-------

This page uses a light color (#444) on a light blue background-image
with less than initial, default font-size (10pt) and with absolute
units. Justified text is universally known to be less legible than
left-aligned text. The white text-shadow is useless and pointless and
does not improve legibility.

To me, these poor styling issues should first be dealt with on the whole
kde.org website. Choosing a CMS for the whole site is one thing.
Creating (or choosing) one that promotes readability, legibility,
accessibility at all times is another.

> Also if some deisgn/web guru can help us with making the radio buttons
> be
> nicer (our idea is to make them more like buttons) it'd be great.

The radio button should look like a normal, standard, default radio
button in browsers. If you style a form control like a radio button,
then it may not look like a radio button to users who use different
browsers. Form controls should look familiar to users who use and trust
the same/preferred browser; form controls can (and often do because of
themes and skins) look different in different browsers.

Gérard