Documentation BoF/workshop at Akademy; recommendations for mainsite menu revamp

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Oct 15 19:31:30 UTC 2014

El Dimarts, 14 d'octubre de 2014, a les 22:57:38, Valorie Zimmerman va
escriure:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > El Dilluns, 13 d'octubre de 2014, a les 21:59:30, Valorie Zimmerman va
> >
> > escriure:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> During the documentation workshop at Akademy, our speaker & discussion
> >> facilitator looked at our front page, www.kde.org, to see how easy it
> >> was for various classes of people to figure out how to get information
> >> or get involved with KDE. We got as far as the top-level menues, and
> >> found a bit of a mess. Because our internet connections were so poor,
> >> we ended up emailing text files to one another, then meeting up for
> >> lunch and using the restaurant connectivity. :-)
> >>
> >> I think the mainsite could do with a remake, however that will take
> >> time. Fixing the top-level menus and/or the pages pointed to from
> >> there is a much smaller task, which IMO should be done now. We should
> >> make our site helpful to press who need information, new people who
> >> are looking for help, or want to help out in various ways.
> >
> >> Here is what Mikey and I came up with:
> > Where do this current items end up?
> >
> > Community
> >
> >    Donate
> >    Get Involved
> >    Join The Game
> >    Thanks
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >   Albert
>
> Oops, looks like my paste got cut off. And actually, I love that
> Community is first, and I think it should stay first, since we are a
> community who makes software.
>
> =Community=
> Get Involved (title of page still needs fixing)
> Donate
> Whatever we call JtG, Sustaining Member or whatever
> Thanks

OK, no strong opinon on the shuffling on stuff, i do totally agree that UserBase
and TechBase are "geeky" names that should go away at least in the menus of
kde.org and should be "User Wiki" and "Tech Wiki" or similar.

Cheers,
  Albert