Application Pages / BoF at Akademy

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Tue Aug 26 06:38:23 UTC 2014

Hi, during the last Randa meeting, Albert, Aleix and me hat a nice chat about
how to use the new AppData files of the different applications to have a new
way to generate the JSON files needed for the application pages (as for
example this one http://edu.kde.org/applications/language/kanagram/) at
edu.kde.org. (The current way is to parse the main.cpp and the *.desktop files
and merge them with some magic.)

As far as I know (please correct me, since I only know the edu-www pages in
depth) both Edu and www.kde.org use the same scripts to generate these JSON
files, even if Edu forked them years ago. And actually, they are not working
anymore since the script-logic is expecting all applications to live in SVN.

Our plan is to update/change the generation scripts at edu.kde.org to utilize
the appdata files as well as to make them working with our Git infrastructure.
The far goal, however, might be to reuse them for www.kde.org pages, i.e., for
our application hub.

These are our planned steps:
* BoF: we registered a BoF at Akademy's Wednesday, 11:30am to which everyone
interested is invited (primary goal: technical discussion how the scripts
shall work, how everything fits into our infrastructure)
* Protoype: I plan to make a prototype for converting those appdata files and
see which of the information our JSON files provide we can gain this way
* Edu-Testrun: update edu.kde.org
* Later: see if/how the scripts can be reused for www.kde.org

Cheers,
Andreas

PS: please ask if anything is unclear, since I am quite sure that I did not
start with the right technical level for everyone :)