pretty mailman listinfo pages?

Gérard Talbot browserbugs at gtalbot.org
Wed Apr 23 17:41:16 UTC 2014

Le 2014-04-23 10:40, Ahmed Fathy Hussein a écrit :

>> Ahmed
>>
>> As coded as of right now, the following
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>> <!-- $Revision: 5865 $ -->
>> <HTML>
>>
>> will trigger backward-compatible "quirks" rendering mode in all
>> mainstream
>> browsers: eg load the page in Firefox and do Tools/Information on the
>> page
>> (Ctrl+I). backward-compatible "quirks" rendering mode is something you
>> always want to avoid.
>>
>> You need a doctype with a strict DTD like
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
>>
>> or just:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">
>>
>> to trigger web-standards-compliant rendering mode.
>>
>> Please note that
>>

> I've updated the page to include all the edits you suggested.

Yes!

line 1: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">
line 2: <!-- $Revision: 5865 $ -->
(...)
line 14:      body {font-size: 100%;}
line 15:      p {font-size: 100%;}

> The problem
> with strict DTD is that elements like <center> should not be used. It
> still
> renders correctly in Chrome and Firefox

Then that's fine. You should not worry about old browsers, rare browsers
or browsers like IE7 or IE8 here. IE7 and IE8 are considered old
browsers now.

> but I'm not sure this would be the
> case in other browsers.

I believe it is/will be still centered although the markup validation
will fail.

Ahmed, even if it is rendered differently in other browsers, all it
could or would mean/imply here, in that particular page, is that the
inputs would be left-aligned. Eg:
Address, Password inputs and Visit Subscriber List button would be
left-aligned. This is not critical, not even important.

> I can't stop using <center> as this is put
> automatically in mailman templates

I understand.

> and I can't replace it. Do you have any
> suggestions regarding this or should I go back to Transitional?

Either use

which will trigger web-standards-compliant rendering mode

or

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
which will trigger Almost-standards-compliant rendering mode.

I recommend to use

Gérard

--
Konqueror Implementation Report of CSS 2.1 test suite (RC6): 9418
testcases