pretty mailman listinfo pages?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 21 09:52:13 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-20 19:04 (GMT-0400) Ahmed Fathy Hussein composed:

> I'd like to help with this if possible. I've made a KDE themed HTML page of
> kde-www listinfo page here
> http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143005469/list.html

> Is that close to what you were expecting?

Like most of kde.org (which parrots the vast majority of web styling), yours
replaces the existing unstyled user perspective beauty (respect: legible
fonts exactly equal to user determined optimal size as embodied in browser
default size), with stylist perspective beauty (font sizes that utterly
disregard optimal, e.g. 14px on body, which here is approximately half
optimal size, made worse by gray text instead of black text).

http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/KDE/mailman-ahmFat-201404202304-1800-235.png
demonstrates the negative impact of 'font-size: 14px' contained on lines 190
and 612 of http://cdn.kde.org/css/bootstrap.css on a high quality (read:
expensive) high resolution display like a Dell XPS 15 laptop's. Scaled in an
image viewer to the same size as where made such that the 1" wide image it
contains in fact measures 1" wide it should be clear that 14px text is a tiny
fraction of of the text everywhere else on the desktop, e.g. the About KDE
screen, KCalc, the panel, the text in the current version of the mailman
page, and the text in your version viewed in Firefox with a minimum size
equal to the default size enforced.

The fix is conceptually rather simple: do not size text using px. Simply
deleting lines 190 and 612 containing those font-size rules that set a px
size on body and p at least in theory should be all that's required to fix
it, though because of the enormous weight of that stylesheet there are surely
some other font-size rules that need adjusting, at least for whatever pages
use those rules. Deleting those two lines means body text and p text will
render at the optimum size personalized as the user's browser default, which
you can see simulated in the Firefox portion of the image.

For more detail and overview of web page font sizing generally please visit:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080501114209/http://tobyinkster.co.uk/article/web-fonts/
http://wm4.wilsonminer.com/posts/2008/oct/20/relative-readability/
http://ia.net/blog/100e2r/?v=4
http://www.w3.org/2003/07/30-font-size