mailing list archive is mousetype

Ingo Malchow imalchow at kde.org
Sun Jul 21 03:08:17 UTC 2013

Am Samstag, 20. Juli 2013, 21:49:11 schrieb Felix Miata:
> http://lists.kde.org/style.css
>
> body { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:1.00em; }
>
> pre { font-family: "courier new", courier, monospace; font-size:12pt;
> font-weight:600; }
>
> In all modern web browsers other than Konq using its KHTML default, this
> 12pt styling results in 12px text, about 5pt or less on Retina displays and
> similar. There's really no point in either of these style declarations.
> Courier New is the worst monospace font there is for Linux users.[1]
> Courier on Linux is a bitmap font available in a limited selection of
> sizes, if present at all.
>
> Most distros default to DejaVu Sans Mono for monospace text, which is what
> they would get absent the latter rule, and the bolding would be pointless,
> useful only when bolding is actually desirable, which is usually only if
> Courier New is used or emphasis is indicated.
>
> The body rule re size is equally pointless, as 1.0 em is exactly the browser
> default. Whether the default is sans-serif or something else really
> shouldn't matter except to whoever is actually reading the archive.
> Helvetica is actually a poor choice on Linux, as fontconfig usually maps it
> to something else, and when it doesn't the result usually is a bitmap font
> in a limited range of sizes not desirable in web page use.
>
> [1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/fontconfig/2013-July/004826.html

http://lists.kde.org/?q=about (what you get when you click on the "Mailing
List Archives" link) shows that this is not run by KDE, but marc.info. And
neither are we in charge of the mentioned css file. I suggest you report it to
them instead, as these settings seem to be globally used for them.

Ingo Malchow
(neverendingo)
New to KDE Software? - get help from http://userbase.kde.org or ask questions
on http://forum.kde.org