Cannot load static pages in eLinks and other Text Browsers

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Jan 6 11:28:09 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM,  <ccalby at mailbag.com> wrote:
> Sure, here's what I have, please let me know if you need anything else.

Hi Chris,

> As explained in the eLinks User Manual:
>
> 2.9. What User-Agent header does ELinks send?
> The older ELinks versions (up to 0.4.3) send:
>   ELinks ($version; $osinfo; $textmode_dimensions)
>
> The new ELinks versions (from 0.9.0 on) send:
>   ELinks/$version (textmode; $osinfo; $textmode_dimensions)
>
> You should therefore check against something like /^ELinks[\/ ]/,
> since more fields can be added inside the parenthesis in
> subsequent versions. Note that users can change their User-Agent
> through the options system.

Unfortunately it seems that Incapsula does not support regular
expressions in their User-Agent whitelisting.
As such it will be rather difficult to whitelist you without a more
precise User-Agent.

Could you supply an example ELinks user-agent which your system sends?
(I primarily need this for the text mode dimensions).

> As shown in my eLinks options setup:
>
>   Name: user_agent
>   Type: String
>   Value: "ELinks/%v (textmode; %s; %t-%b)"

>   Change the User Agent ID. That means identification string, which
>   is sent to HTTP server when a document is requested. The 'textmode'
>   token in the first field is our silent attempt to establish this as
>   a standard for new textmode user agents, so that the webmasters can
>   have just a single uniform test for these if they are e.g. pushing
>   some lite version to them automagically.
>   Use " " if you don't want any User-Agent header to be sent at all.
>   %v in the string means ELinks version,
>   %s in the string means system identification,
>   %t in the string means size of the terminal,
>   %b in the string means number of bars displayed by ELinks.
>

> In case you are wondering, I am using:
> ELinks 0.11.7.GIT (0.11.7-6-g2e174e5-dirty)
> Built on Dec 27 2012 09:41:30
>
> with:
> iTerm2, Build 1.0.0.20120203
>
> over:
> Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard), Build 9L31a
>
> on a:
> Power Mac Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 with 3GB DDR SDRAM
>
> On Thu, December 27, 2012 6:15 pm, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 5:35 AM,  <ccalby at mailbag.com> wrote:
>> Re: http://community.kde.org/Mac
>
> Hi Chris,
>

>> For some reason a few of your pages will not load due to JavaScript
>> that is apparently acting as a gatekeeper, but for what reason I
>> cannot fathom.  Please consider at least including some kind of
>> human
>> readable comments on these pages suggesting best usage for
>> developers
>> who want to load in Text Browsers / Emacs, as well as, for those
>> using
>> screen readers.
>
> This "gate keeper" is likely Incapsula, which is performing a
> "Javascript security check".
> Could you please provide the User Agent which is being sent by the
> browsers you are using? If you can, I can whitelist them with
> Incapsula which should allow you to access the site content.
>

>> Thanks much,
>> Chris Alby
>
> Thanks,
> Ben Cooksley