[kde-doc-english] Kubuntu documentation

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 05:58:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> El Diumenge, 8 de desembre de 2013, a les 16:31:20, Valorie Zimmerman va
> escriure:
>> Hi folks, I know this is a bit unusual, but I'm writing to both the
>> Doc team and web team simultaneously because the Kubuntu Doc team has
>> a problem, and it is possible y'all can help us, if you are willing.
>>
>> Right now, we develop our documentation on the ubuntu wiki system,
>> which is MoinMoin. This works well in that there is a low bar to entry
>> for new folks, and errors can be fixed on the fly. Of course much of
>> the documentation our users need is either on the Ubuntu system or the
>> excellent KDE system, and much of our docs merely points or includes
>> that material.
>>
>> There are problems as well. Moinmoin has no good system for exporting
>> docs to Docbook so they can be included in the ISO, and there is no
>> easy way to let translators help us internationalize once the
>> documentation is complete and up-to-date.
>>
>> We wonder if it would be possible to move our wiki over to the KDE
>> mediawiki system, with its wonderful translator helps. We could do
>> this either as a standalone part of the system, sort of off to the
>> side, or what we would prefer: be an actual part of Userbase, as part
>> of /Distributions or similar.
>>
>> After translations are done, then perhaps we can get the help of the
>> Doc team to get the Docbook magic done, so that we have the necessary
>> packages to distribute to our users.
>>
>> A few of us have brought some of these ideas to the teams in IRC, but
>> we're getting to the time in the release cycle where we have to make
>> some decisions.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Just to make sure I understand, Kubuntu wants to move all it's documentation
> away from its existing *ubuntu* domain to *kde* domain?
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert

Hi Albert,

We want to move the docs *wiki* to the KDE wiki system.

We present our finished docs in two places: the most important is in
the ISO, and the other is on http://docs.kubuntu.org. So our finished
docs wouldn't change, except that we hope that we will also have
translations. Right now, we have none of those wonderful translations.

IF the web team is cool with us using the KDE userbase wiki to work on
Kubuntu docs, then we will write to the translation teams and see if
they are willing to help us out that way. There are Kubuntu
translators who are willing to help as well, but there is no easy way
for them to do that right now. The userbase translation plugin would
be really helpful to us.

I think it would be difficult for KDE to allow us to present our
finished docs on kde.org infra, when other distros don't do this.

Valorie
--
http://about.me/valoriez