Developing our wikis

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Nov 27 15:14:06 UTC 2009

For a long time I've wanted to make some improvements to UserBase, but been
unable to because no sysop was available to help me.  After my recent blog on
the subject, the forum team set up a sandbox wiki where I can try out
improvements, test them for stability, etc..  Now I would like to move ahead.
Some of the things I want to implement are small, others larger.  Starting
with some of the smaller things, then -

If you read UserBase in Konqueror it looks quite pleasant.  Read it in Firefox
and it is, frankly, downright unpleasant.  The same applies to TechBase - not
surprising, I guess, as they share a skin.  I'm told that it would be quite
easy to fix this so that the smaller, neater font is used.

There is a discrepancy in font between body text and table text which makes
pages with tables quite unpleasant.  For a good example, see
http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok and scroll down the page.  Again, I'm told it
is easy to fix.

Then there are some small additions to the skin that I'd like to make.

The Toolbox can hold a Printable Version link - I think that would be
valuable.

I'd like to see every page showing a Last Updated on ...... entry.  Yes, it
would show where we are lacking, but it would, more importantly, allow a quick
assessment of how likely an entry is to be relevant to current releases.

It would, I think, be a politeness, as the very least, to show a small