Restructuring techbase and userbase

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Tue Jan 6 13:28:13 UTC 2009

Hi,

I strongly agree with Cornelius.
The structure we have on techbase mainly comes from developer.kde.org which
served use for the whole kde lifetime pretty well. Thus I'm all for keeping
the structure.

On Monday 05 January 2009, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Monday 05 January 2009 16:17:28 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > > I think this is a misunderstanding caused by our sloppy way of using
> > > the term project where it means sub-project of the KDE project.
> > > Actually the vast majority of pages under Projects/ are team pages.
> >
> > Yes, but I don't think that's necessarily the best way to do it. What
> > if we had
> >
> > techbase.kde.org/{KDEPIM,KDEGames,KDEEdu,etc,i18n,usability,promotion,e
> >tc}*
> >
> > And a single page techbase.kde.org/Teams with links to all the teams.
> >
> > * [[KDEPIM]] - Personal information management applications
> > * [[KDEGames]] - Games in KDE.
> > * [[i18n]] - Translating and localizing KDE.
> > * [[Promotion]] - Promoting KDE
>
> This would go against how techbase is structured for all the other
> content, where we have Development/, Schedules/,
> KDE_System_Administration/, ISV/, all with an additional level of
> subhierarchy. This is the original structure, organizing most of the
> content of techbase.
>
> The Projects/ content was added later because of lack of a better place.
> It never really belonged on techbase.

*exactly*, that's it.

> The quality and completeness of the Projects/ content is also rather low
> and it's more volatile information than the rest of techbase.

Negatively framed, it's a dumping ground for »everything else«. Lots of
stuff there is already abandoned (at least not changed for years). I want
to prevent having this legacy pages all around.

> > > But in the end it would be better to not have these pages on techbase
> > > at all. Techbase was meant to contain polished technical content for
> > > system administrators, third-party developers and external people
> > > interested in contributing to KDE. It wasn't meant as whiteboard for
> > > internal development information and mainly community related
> > > content.
> >
> > I'm interested in focussing in more on 'external people interested in
> > contributing to KDE'. If that's what it is, though, it does make sense
> > to also have the whiteboard of internal development information in the
> > same place if external people are going to get started joining a team,
> > doesn't it?
>
> I don't think so. Internal development information is less structured,
> more likely to change, not polished for external people, etc. This is
> confusing for everybody not familiar with the internal of KDE
> development. Techbase was started as a high-quality source of information
> about how to technically use KDE, for system administration, for 3rd
> party developers, for ISVs. This is a very important target group and we
> should try to provide the best possible content without dumping all kind
> of unsorted information on them.

yes, think of content in developer.kde.org.

> [...]

Dominik