A question of requiring registration for userbase contribution

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Dec 11 11:50:58 UTC 2009

For some time now I've been concerned about contributions to userbase that are
made without being logged in.  The reason is that sometimes contributions,
made in good faith, need to be either edited or moved, and there is no way to
talk to the contributor about it.

Take, for instance, http://userbase.kde.org/Talk:KDirStat

Had that contributor used a login I would have contacted him first, explaining
why I thought it should be moved, and giving him the option of doing it
himself or leaving it for me to do.  As it is, if he goes back to
http://userbase.kde.org/KDirStat he will simply think that his contribution
has been cut out, without explanation.  It's doubtful if he will think to look
at the Discussion page.  He'll probably never contribute again.

The fact that we now have 991 registered users confirms that getting an
account is not a difficult process.  I think it would be an advantage to
require that for contribution.  It is already a requirement to upload images.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on this

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group