Thanks for contacting the KDE.org webmasters

drderdon at juno.com drderdon at juno.com
Sun Aug 9 14:34:17 UTC 2009

upon further looking this turned out to be a hardware problem.  Acer Aspire notebook.  Silly me.

Sorry guys.  I have been trying to figure this out for 6 months.

FYI If you get similar complaints, the bightness of the screen on an Acer Aspire laptop.  The common workaround is as follows.

Hold down the "Fn" Key on the left.  And press the "right arrow" on the right several times.   This is also the hardware brightness adjustment key.  It will adjust the screen brightness.  The only one thing I don't understand is that with different distributions.  Mandriva for one.  The Gnome desktop keeps the screen bright all thru booting.  Where as on
other distros.  And also in the openSuse 11.1 it Gnome keeps the screen brightness high thru the boot process.

Knoppix seems to dim it any way used.  Just seems stranges.

Don