http://worldwide.kde.org/

Christoph chris at inferno.nadir.org
Tue Dec 16 22:22:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Saturday 13 December 2008 23:33:10 Christoph wrote:
> On Saturday 13 December 2008 22:40:08 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 December 2008 22:26:39 Christoph wrote:
> > > Which format would you prefer ?
> >
> > I would like to make an aternative suggestion:
> >
> > We could host the data on opendesktop.org. There you can already enter
> > coordinates. Then we would only need a list of opendesktop.org user ids,
> > from which we could generate the map and whatever other formats we would
> > like to have like KML. Even the list of users could be maintained on
> > opendesktop.org, for example as a special "KDE Worldwide" group.
> >
> > The data is accessible through the Open Collaboration Services API, so we
> > can easily make use of it.
> >
> > This way we would not have to invent another format, people would have a
> > nice web UI to edit their data, and we would make use of the data which
> > already is there.
>
> I didn't know opendesktop.org.
> Your suggestion sounds good and reasonable.
> We could create more than one map with this too.
> KDE-Developers, KDE-Users, KDE-haters. All with the same tool.
> I will have a look at it.
> Thank you very much for the tip.

I made a very early and awful prototype. And it works. It uses python to
generate the javaScript dynamically. brrr.
The only problem is, that it is not possible to ask opendesktop.org for
groups. So every person that wants to be on that map has to be entered
manually. I will ask the opendesktop.org guys.

I would like to test a little more but I need some more userIDs.
May I ask for some  opendesktop.org userIDs  for further testing ?

Have a look at http://www.kluenter.de/kde/worldwide/
There is a lonely KDE-Icon. Thats me :-)

@Percy: Do you want to turn my python-hack into proper php ?
(I can't write any PHP)
Might be nicer when/if it runs on the kde-server.

Cheers,
    Christoph