A couple of notes

Mat Colton mat.colton at web-xs.de
Fri Mar 7 13:49:36 UTC 2003

Hi all,
some comments on the new code:
1. I see
This will not work for screen readers using IE AFAIK. Might want to try
setting the CSS to "position: absolute; left: -40em; top: 0;" which works for
them and tty media as well.
2. Why is the print CSS not putting a "display: none" on the header,
navigation and so on? I don't really unterstand that. The print page
should only contain the real content and the URL IMHO.
3. Due to the "line-height: 1em;" line in #header the letters are cut off on
Konqueror 3.1 (Gentoo Linux) on my machine. Take it out and it works fine.
4. The page uses relative font sizes, such as font-size: small. This kind of
relative font sizing causes different font sizes in IE and Mozilla. Start off
with 100% font-size in the body tag and then use .8em for the #header and it
will be the same on both browsers (and on Konqueror)

Besides that I noticed some pages, i.e. the front page, won't render correctly
on NS 4.79. I thought the page was made in XHTML 1.0 Transitional to be able
to avoid stuff like that? Not meant to be provocative. I was just wondering
cause I remember posts saying we can't use XHTML 1.1 because of problems like
that.
Last but not least for the moment and not really that important: Maybe the
standard.js could be in the head tag (where it belongs) and contain browser
checking before trying to execute a function:

function submitSettings() {
  if (document.forms) {
    document.Theme.submit();
  }
}

function submitSearch() {
  if (document.forms) {
    if(document.Searchform.input.value != "") {
      document.Searchform.submit();
    }
  }
}