New KDE site style, good, but with a classic mistake, bg w/o fg color defined

Duncan non-com.duncan at cox.net
Tue Mar 4 14:58:54 UTC 2003

I prefer light text on a dark background, so that's what my Konqueror prefs
are set for.  Unfortunately, the new site's default style sets a white
background, without setting foreground color, so it keeps my default choice,
meaning the text is white on white, and unreadable.

According to http://richinstyle.com , this is a common mistake, common enough
to specifically warn about in its tutorials.  My experience supports that
conclusion.  The simple enough solution is to always remember to specify
fg/text color when you specify bg color.

BTW, a couple of the alternative style sheets apparently do specify fg color,
but they aren't the default, and I do prefer the new blue crystal theming.
It's just the failure to specify fg w/ bg that causes problems.

(KDE 3.1, Mandrake 9.1 Cooker, updated at least weekly.)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin