Organisation of files in the new site

Rainer Endres endres at physos.org
Fri Jan 31 07:48:48 UTC 2003

Hi

After a very busy time for me I resurface, just to see it was a very busy time
for kde-www, too.

Chris, I agree with this totaly. Reorganisation of stuff was my intention in
working on this www-stuff. Since I was not able to do any work, I held back
my opinions. Things reached a point where I have to reconsider this approach.

I will try to catch up on the mail discussions and the actual code, before I
comment on things, but from  a first glance things already cooled down a bit.
It seems there are discussions going on outside this list wich makes it a bit
hard to really catch up, so I will start with a very naive point of view.

I _strongly_ recommend, not to put up a simple redesign of the site. Why?
Because a new look indicates a new site wich may be a better point to break
compatibility to third-party sites in as few places as possible, than later
on when the site is already up.

Ok, starting to catch up on mail.

MfG
	Rainer

On Thursday 30 January 2003 16:32, Chris Howells Chris Howells
<chris at chrishowells.co.uk> wrote to kde-www at kde.org
> Hi,
>
> One of the things I disliked about the last site was the huge number of
> files directly under kde.org/, and the few subdirectories.
>
> What I would quite like to see is for more subdirectories be used. For
> example:
>
> kde.org/contact.html
>
> would become
>
> kde.org/contact/index.html
>
> Then you can just type "kde.org/contact" into your browser, and not have to
> do the usual "does this site use .php, .html, .phtml, or whatever as the
> extension for the files?".
>
> Comments? Yes, this would break a few links, but if we try to provide
> backwards compatability with the old site we'll just end up with a huge
> mess of re-directs.

- --
 WHAT PROFITETH IT A KINGDOM IF THE OXEN BE DEFLATED? Riddles, II(3)
Rainer Endres

mail:	endres at physos.org		snail:	Dieburger Str. 2
www:	http://www.physos.net/			64283 Darmstadt
tel:	+491714109322			AIM:	physos