wwwtesting - blue

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed Jan 29 15:23:59 UTC 2003

[Mirko Boehm]
> Sorry not true, in the Netherlands like in Germany some colors are
> trademarked and can not be use by organizations or corporations.

Well, has Microsoft trademarked the color blue in Germany or in the
Netherlands?

Otherwise this is FUD:

http://www.microsoft.de (yellow)
http://www.microsoft.nl (orange)

So using blue in these two countries should not be a problem, but if we
switch to yellow or orange to avoid blue, we might have one, according to
your argument.

Also interesting:

http://www.microsoft.at (white)

So should we stop using white?

BTW, the colour of the new web site is not aiming to copy Microsoft, it is
the very common color "Royal Blue". Royal Blue is the default window bar
colour of the Chrystal theme. This is why we use it for the website.

That Microsoft uses a similar colour in other coutries than the one where
the new layout was created is coincidence, and I am against destroying
the new layout because of unproven claims about Microsoft having
registered a colour in Germany or the Netherlands which it doesn't even
use here.

If we avoid every colour that might also used by someone else, we would be
left with an empty page, or with one using only some kind of dirty grey
and different tones of pink.

If we wish not to be sued, we should better use a colour that is so common
that it cannot be registered as a trademark, like Royal Blue. Even
Microsoft has not dared to claim that they own Royal Blue.

Apart from that, Microsoft would not want to start such a stupid court
case against KDE, as they know well that this would give bad PR to them
and good PR to us.

> If KDE does does not want to get into trouble it's wise to start
> educating itself.

If you wish to eductate us on this subject, do so properly. Otherwise stop
spreading FUD.

We are busy with really important stuff right now. I will therefore not
reply to any other mails concerning this until someone comes up with the
exact registration number of a proven colour trademark.

Olaf.

- --
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility Project
KDEAP co-maintainer, maintainer of http://accessibility.kde.org