Consistent navigation for the KDE sites

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Tue Jan 28 15:19:02 UTC 2003

Hi!

While testing the new KDE website, I saw that the kate and kde-ev web
sites have been transfered to the new layout as well, which I think is
very nice.

I found it a quite confusing that the "Home" link on
http://wwwtesting.kde.org/areas/kde-ev/ does not go to the KDE homepage,
but to the home page of the subproject, as nothing in the layout
indicates that you are on a different web site.

I think we should split "Home" into

"KDE Home"

and

"KDE e.V. Home" (or "Kate Home", etc.)

It would also be nice if we would have different logos for each
subsection.

Any comments on this?

As I am also planning to switch to the new layout for
http://accessibility.kde.org, I was thinking about adding keyboard
shortcuts.

I would like to use the following:

1 KDE Home
2 Subproject Home
3 One page up in the hierarchy
4 KDE site map
5 Subproject site map

For "3", I mean the folowing:
http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/project.php
- -> http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/
- -> http://www.kde.org

and

http://accessibility.kde.org/events/
- -> http://accessibility.kde.org
- -> http://www.kde.org

The keyboard shortcuts are defined by adding them to links, so we need
links for these 5 tasks (which can be hidden via CSS).

My question is whether the php scripts are easily extendable to look after
this.

Olaf.

- --
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility Project
KDEAP co-maintainer, maintainer of http://accessibility.kde.org